[rancid] anyone have rancid working for a nexus 5000?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Nov 1 21:11:52 UTC 2010

Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:34:27PM -0400, Lee:
> On 10/27/10, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > rancid log says
> >
> > write(spawn_id=1): broken pipe
> >     while executing
> > "send_user -- "$expect_out(buffer)""
> >     invoked from within
> >
> > when trying to get the config from a nexus 5000.
>
> The problem turned out to be "show version build-info all" - ie:
>
> nexus5000-1# show version build-info all
>                           ^
> % Invalid command at '^' marker.
> nexus5000-1#

plz report that to cisco.  running a command that isnt supported on the
platform should not cause it to disconnect the client.

> Comment out the "{'show version build-info all'   =>
> 'ShowVersionBuild'}," line and rancid (actually nxrancid - I spent
> more time than I'd like to admit looking at rancid) is able to grab
> the config.  So all's fine with that box now, but the next n5k is
> still failing; log file shows
>
> Trying to get all of the configs.
> nexus5000-2: missed cmd(s): show license
> Getting missed routers: round 1.
> nexus5000-2: missed cmd(s): show license
>

> ssh into the box & typing in the command doesn't give any output:
>
> nexus5000-2# show license
> nexus5000-2#
>
> Help getting around this one would be appreciated.

set NOPIPE=YES in your environment and run nxrancid -d hostname.  look
in hostname.raw for this command and it's output.  can also run nxrancid
-d -f hostname.raw to help trace it.