[rancid] Re: figure out prompt in h3clogin fails

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 18:34:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Stefan Juon wrote:

> I try to make rancid working for h3c/3com switches. Therefore I got the
> appropriate enhancements from
> http://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/h3c. I can login to a
> switch using h3clogin, no problem. But once expect should figure out the
> prompt it hangs. Here is an example of sending the command "dis device" to a
> switch called npd0011:

Hi Stefan,

I wrote this code, a long time ago.  I haven't looked at it in ages, but
it works day-to-day for me.  However, when I wrote it I only had 3Com 5500
models.  I've now got something else plus some more models to come soon,
but I've not tested against them yet.  What model were you trying this
against?

I'll do some more tests later.

In the meantime, the usual method for debugging would be something like:

 env NOPIPE=y PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/libexec/rancid h3crancid -d devicename

which will create a .new and a .raw file without output in your working
directory.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK