[rancid] Re: Applying Patches

Christopher DeRemer cderemer at phoebe.org
Wed Jun 30 17:19:16 UTC 2010

>>On 6/29/2010 3:42 PM, Christopher DeRemer wrote:
>> Sorry for the newbie questions but after a brief search I didn?t find
>> any clear instructions. How do I apply .diff file patches to my Rancid

>After installing rancid, you should be able to go into the appropriate directory (most like RANCID_DIR/bin/) and use the "patch" command to apply the patchfile (e.g. >patch -p1 < patchfile). Some massaging of the patch process may be required and if the patch is small enough, editing the file directly by hand (save a backup first!) is >not hard.

Background... trying to patch Michael Stafaniuc's Cisco WLC patch http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rancid/users/4895

If I try "patch -p1 < rancid-ciscowlc.diff" I get the following output:
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
|diff -up ./bin/Makefile.am.wlc ./bin/Makefile.am
|--- ./bin/Makefile.am.wlc      2010-03-24 00:33:51.000000000 +0100
|+++ ./bin/Makefile.am  2010-04-27 19:11:43.000000000 +0200
File to patch:

As far as I can tell he's not just modifying one file, it seems like he has several files that he's changing (see thread content)

Cheers,
Chris

NOTICE: This confidential message/attachment contains information intended for a specific individual(s). Any inappropriate use, distribution or duplication is strictly prohibited. If received in error, notify the sender and immediately delete this transmission.