[rancid] Re: Modify rancid scripts to enter on Cisco devices level 7 (enable 7 command)

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 19:57:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, john heasley wrote:

> Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:56:21AM +0200, Julian Salmeron:
> > I have a strange situation with a Cisco device where I have to login as
> > normal user , then type the "enable 7" command to enter in level 7 and then
> > type "show startup config" instead of "show running config".
> > So I have to modify some of the rancid scripts (clogin, rancid and maybe
> > some more), and that's my problem...I don't know how to do that and I'm not
> > sure which scripts I have to modify.
>
> clogin/*login does not have a way to alter the enable command.  afaik,
> other commands will fail at lower privilege levels, so i'm not inclined
> to add the feature now.

That's true; I also needed the feature for some 3Com/H3C gear which
doesn't use "enable".  I wasn't inclined to add the feature either, but I
did make it slightly easier for myself in case I ever did; I simply:

    set enacmd "system-view"

then later:

    send "$enacmd\r"

If the facility to change it ever gets added in via .cloginrc, I at least
had part of the framework there, and in the meantime it reminds me to
think about it again every so often.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK