[rancid] reason for autoenable?

Hank Kilmer hank at rem.com
Fri Aug 27 15:34:33 UTC 2010

On 8/26/10 8:07 PM, john heasley wrote:
> Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 03:04:25PM -0400, Lee:
>>   ... more newbie questions
>>
>> If the userid automatically gets priv level 15 at login and you forget
>> to set the autoenable flag the clogin script times out waiting for the
>> ">" prompt.  Why was the autoenable flag added instead of changing the
>> expect script to look for # or >?  It seems nicer not to require a
>> flag...
>
> i'll blame Hank again.  autoenable just simplifies the code by moving the
> burden.

I must admit, that one is my fault.  It is a product of having working
code long ago, changing some of our routers to autoenable for some
account and realizing I needed to update rancid to match.  It was how my
brain works...I like to explicitly tell programs what I want and expect.
 The more thinking they do for me, the more mistakes can get hidden.
This one, however, is a bit overkill in hindsight.

> I have a patch to remove it, but it still wants to enable.  i'd like poeple
> to test before its is committed.  see attached.

Let's get this tested!
-Hank