[rancid] Menu-only and/or TFTP-only equipment

"Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)" 4ux6as402 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:20:39 UTC 2010

I'm evaluating Rancid's suitability for our purposes and have a few
questions:

Some equipment (e.g. some HP equipment as far as I remember and
definitely some Nortel/BayStack equipment) only supports ncurses menus
where one has to send arrow-up, arrow-down, "Enter" etc and sift through
the ncurses output.

We're ok to expand RANCID's functionality (and send patches back! :-)
but we need menu navigation to be possible. Are there any of the
existing equipment types that succesfully navigate a menu?

It doesn't look to me like RANCID's split into a Tcl/expect based *login
and a perl based *rancid is well suited for scripting this sort of
interaction. (In fact hpuifilter seems to have been written exactly to
avoid this nastiness)

Also, we have some equipment that only supports getting the
configuration via a TFTP server:
* Telnet to equipment
* Navigate through menus to send config to TFTP server
* exit telnet
* Retreive info via TFTP
Has anybody succesfully needed/done that?

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com