[rancid] RANCID with Nexus 7000 VDCs

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Thu Apr 22 21:58:10 UTC 2010

Anybody using RANCID to archive the configurations of VDCs on an N7K?

We are able to connect to the base system correctly, but the VDCs are
not archiving correctly.   We can clogin to the device and run various
commands, but rancid-run against the VDCs doesn't complete.

The user being used for rancid to login has been created with role
vdc-admin in the VDC configuration.

The log file shows:
Getting missed routers: round 1.
distsw01: missed cmd(s): show module,show license,dir usb1:,dir
debug:,show debug,show version build-info all,show cores vdc-all,show
vtp status,show environment fan,show module xbar,show environment
power,show license host-id,show inventory,dir usb2:,show vlan,dir
bootflash:,dir volatile:,dir slot0:,show processes log vdc-all,show
environment clock,dir logflash:,show license usage,show
running-config,show system redundancy status,show environment
temperature,show boot
distsw01: End of run not found
!Software: system compile time: 3/21/2009 12:00:00 [04/05/2009 23:43:35]

The only differences I see between the base and the VDCs as far as
prompts go is that the VDCs display as:
coresw01-distsw01#
The base system displays as:
coresw01#

What steps can I do to troubleshoot why this is failing?  Has anybody
else successfully used RANCID on an N7K VDC?

Thanks.

Jeremy