[rancid] Re: rancid and git

seph seph at directionless.org
Thu Apr 22 15:49:49 UTC 2010

john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> writes:

> Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 03:57:11PM -0400, seph:
>> Hi all. I'm just starting to look at using rancid to help manage and
>> monitoring my network configs. I notice that there have been at least
>> a couple of different sets of patches for using git. Anyone know if
>> these might get accepted upstream? It seems like they've been around
>> awhile.
>>
> i know that its superior for some work loads, but i dont use git and
> for rancid which rcs is used doesnt really matter.

The idea of having the configs pushed into a more central repo where I
can then pull them to my laptop for reading/grepping/etc is
appealing. And that's something git supports better than cvs and svn.

> does the patch work completely?  rancid-cvs, rancid-run, etc.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've only just started playing with rancid,
and it's pretty complex feeling. I'm not sure I'm going to finish
deploying it, my needs a simple enough that needing to test all that is
less appealing than just writing my own shell script for it.

seph