[rancid] Re: FreeBSD 7.2 & rancid/expect/tcl ports

David Paul Zimmerman dpz at berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 10 01:32:49 UTC 2009

Hi, Joon.  Glad to hear from you!

When RANCID would hang, it would generally exhibit symptoms that were
consistent with http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/#osystems.  The RANCID
run would be stuck up through one specific device's expect/tcl
execution, which would require "kill"ing the youngest child in that
process tree.  I wasn't experiencing the problem before this
particular upgrade, but have experienced it in the past during
attempted port refreshes; in those cases, I couldn't proceed forward
until I either backed out of the expect and tcl port upgrades, or
found some expect/tcl combination that allowed me to make some forward
progress (if not to exactly the versions I wanted).

Looking at the Web page I referred to earlier, it appears that the
expect 5.44 issues it discusses may be fixed, at least in the
combination of OS and ports that I'm currently on.

	dp