[rancid] Extreme Issue

Peder peder at networkoblivion.com
Thu Oct 29 16:48:11 UTC 2009

I am having an issue getting RANCID to pull down my Extreme configs from
Summit 200's.  I've seen several posts where others have had the same issue,
but I haven't really seen a solution.  I am using local accounts on the
Extreme (I tried my username and admin and they both have the same issue).
I can ping and telnet to the extreme from the RANCID box, but it will just
not grab the configs.  The logs just show "missed commands" and the devices
show in the "up" file.  I am trying to pull configs from two switches and
they both have the same issue.  I've tried this:

./clogin  -c "show configuration detail" 192.168.1.2

It logs in, grabs the config and then just sits there.  It never closes the
connection.  If I do the same thing from a Cisco switch that I have, it goes
all the way thru and closes the connection just fine.

If I do ./clogin -d 192.168.1.2, I get this (I cut off some of the beginning
debugs as I don't think it is relevant because you can see that it actually
does get logged in and then just sits there):

expect: set expect_out(0,string) "#"
expect: set expect_out(1,string) "#"
expect: set expect_out(spawn_id) "exp4"
expect: set expect_out(buffer) " \r\n\r\n\r\nExtremeware\r\nCopyright (C)
1996-2004 Extreme Networks.  All rights
reserved.\r\n===============================================================
\r\n\r\nPress the <tab> key at any time for completions.\r\nRemember to save
your configuration changes.\r\nS200-B:1 #"
send: sending "\r" to { exp4 }

expect: does " " (spawn_id exp4) match regular expression "[\r\n]+"? no
"^(.+[:.])1 ((#| \(enable\)))"? no
"^.+(#| \(enable\))"? no

S200-B:1 #
expect: does " \r\nS200-B:1 # " (spawn_id exp4) match regular expression
"[\r\n]+"? yes
expect: set expect_out(0,string) "\r\n"
expect: set expect_out(spawn_id) "exp4"
expect: set expect_out(buffer) " \r\n"
expect: continuing expect

expect: does "S200-B:1 # " (spawn_id exp4) match regular expression
"[\r\n]+"? no
expect: set expect_out(0,string) "S200-B:1 #"
expect: set expect_out(1,string) "S200-B:"
expect: set expect_out(2,string) "#"
expect: set expect_out(3,string) "#"
expect: set expect_out(spawn_id) "exp4"
expect: set expect_out(buffer) "S200-B:1 #"
tty_raw_noecho: was raw = 0  echo = 1

Any ideas?

Peder