[rancid] Re: assistance with removing pager from Dell script

Jeremy Singletary jeremys at rickyninja.net
Wed Oct 7 03:11:09 UTC 2009

On 10/07/09, john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> said:
> Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 07:08:49PM -0700, Jeremy Singletary:
> > On 10/06/09, john heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> said:
> > > Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:40:09PM -0700, Jeremy Singletary:

> > > that leaves the login script less usable for other automation.
> >
> > How does it make it less usable for other automation?  clogin uses the 'term
> > length 0' or 'set length 0' commands to disable the pager.
>
> But you can't disable the pager here, right?  which means that if someone
> tries to use it for automation and pager comes into play, they have the
> same issue.  the login script should deal with the pager if possible.

Some dells will allow you to disable the pager.  I don't know if this
one will or not.  Until the pager recognition expect code can be updated
appropriately, disabling the pager will work for some devices and leave
you no worse off than the present paging failure.

I agree that the login script should be able to handle the pager, and I would
update the code on rickyninja to handle more dell pagers if I had access to
more than one type of dell to test against.