[rancid] Re: ASA flapping diffs with "names" or "no names"

Shane Kavanagh shane.kavanagh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:06:27 UTC 2009

All

I am seeing similar which happed in the early hours of the morning, I am not
seeing the reverse,

If I connect to the device and do a show run I see "no names" in the running
config but not in the start-up config.  The show run also tells me that my
config has not been changed since 18th November, therefore I must conclude
that this addition in the config did not get added by the CLI or Web
interface but by other means.  I am starting to look at bug tracker on
cisco.com for SNMP bugs.

Do a "show version" from the enabled CLI
this will tell you the last user to modify the config and the date and time
when this was done
"Configuration last modified by <XXX> at 10:38:56.343 UTC Wed Nov 18 2009"
Check this with the time and date of the rancid config, I get rancid to pull
configs every hour and I could pin point this to a one hour window between 6
and 7 am
check your stat up config
"show startup-config | include no names"
Its not in my start up config.

However on other ASA's I am see this and it flips several times a day

  !BootFlash: Current BOOT variable = disk0:/asa804-k8.bin
  !BootFlash: CONFIG_FILE variable =
  !BootFlash: Current CONFIG_FILE variable =
  !
- !BootFlash: BOOT variable = disk0:/asa804-k8.bin
+ !BootFlash: BOOT variable =