[rancid] All routers showing as down

Nick Hollingsworth Nick.Hollingsworth at alphawest.com.au
Thu Nov 12 06:21:19 UTC 2009

Hi Rancid subscribers,

Rancid has been doing a great job keeping track of configs & diffs, thanks very much.

I started having problems with it a couple of weeks ago after an admin updated routers.db (I think this is all they did). I rang the admin and confirmed they did it by:

 * logging into the Rancid linux host as root
 * scp'd router.db off
 * modified it
 * scp'd it back on (as root)

Now all the routers end up as down after every rancid run (routers.all & routers.down are full, routers.up is empty, no configs are taken, no diffs given).

I noticed that routers.db had owner root, group root. I presumed this was due to the admin scp'ing the routers.db file back to the system after modifying it so I chowned it back to rancid:netadm.

Other than that I can't see anything wrong .... bin/clogin works fine on a few of the devices ......  I run bin/rancid-run and it finishes instantly leaving an empty log file:

	starting: Thu Nov 12 16:26:22 WST 2009

	ending: Thu Nov 12 16:26:23 WST 2009

I can see router.db in cvs status and if I modify router.db cvs picks it up.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Regards,
Nick

Alphawest Disclaimer

If this communication is not intended for you and you are not an authorised recipient of this email you are prohibited by law from dealing with or relying on the email or any file attachments.
This prohibition includes reading, printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, storing or in any other way dealing or acting in reliance on the information.
If you have received this email in error, we request you contact Alphawest immediately by returning the email to postmaster at alphawest.com.au and destroy the original.
This email is confidential and may contain privileged client information.
Alphawest has taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of all its communications, including electronic communications, but accepts no liability for materials transmitted.
Alphawest collects, uses and stores information regarding its customers from time to time in accordance with its privacy policy located on www.alphawest.com.au.