[rancid] Re: Foundry ServerIron

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Tue May 12 07:22:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009, William Yardley wrote:

> A few questions about getting a Foundry ServerIron setup and working
> with Rancid....

A couple of quick comments (no time for more):

> The user is connecting as a user which already should have the necessary
> permissions;

What privilege level is this user?

I have a user on Foundry with priv level '5' (readonly), but I also need:

  privilege exec level 5 skip-page-display

I can't remember if I have also had to patch flogin to send the
'skip-page-display' display command, or whether it is in the default.
I do have:

  add noenable hostname.example.com 1

> So far, I can login Ok with clogin / flogin (with the caveat above), but
> for whatever reason, after switching from 'noenable' to 'autoenable',
> I'm getting the following in the logs if I try to do a run:
>
>   Trying to get all of the configs.
>   hostname.example.com flogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
>   hostname.example.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis,show module,show flash,show version,show running-config,write term
>   hostname.example.com: End of run not found
>
> I notice that flogin is trying to run the following commands:
> show version;show chassis;show module;show flash;write term;show running-config
>
> Will it fail if some of these don't work? write term and show module
> don't work for me (not as the user I'm connecting as, and I believe not
> at all).

As long as it can find the prompt again after a failed command, it should
be OK.  But you need to check your paging (also make sure you're running
the latest rancid).

To find out exactly where it is failing, you will need to grab the raw
output, see the web page for more details.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK