[rancid] Re: SSH process hangs using cron with Aruba devices

Brett Simpson brett.simpson at sykes.com
Fri Mar 6 20:19:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 14:25 -0500, john heasley wrote:
> Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:23:21AM -0500, Simpson, Brett:
> > I setup a custom expect based on the Cisco ones and can do a
> successful
> > backup of the Aruba devices. The only real different if I added some
> > extra filter to remove some unneeded lines. This works fine if I do
> it
> > manually while SSH'ed into the Rancid server but if I run it through
> > cron the ssh instances hang. I saw a number of posts on similar
> issues
> > but haven't had much luck in fixing. Any ideas?
>
> TERM setting?

When I SSH in manually it's TERM=xterm. For cron I put env in a script
and I can't see a TERM but I had tried doing TERM=xterm, TERM=vt100,
TERM=linux from a bash script and then execute rancid-run group but it
still hangs.

> didnt apply expect patch from rancid web site?

No I didn't but I'm using the expect-5.43.0-5.1 rpm. Should I compile
the expect-5.40.1_hack2.tar.gz on the rancid website?

> other timing related issue in expect regexes?

Don't think so. When I run them manually they work fine every time and
are quick.