[rancid] cvs issues after migration

Wijnand Modderman WModderman at asp4all.nl
Wed Mar 4 13:05:14 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am not particularly familiar with rancid, but after migrating rancid to a new machine (identical rancid and CVS version), errors keep showing up at the rancid logs.

Running rancid produces this error in the logs (amongst other similair ones for other modules):

Trying to get all of the configs.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs [diff aborted]: could not find desired version 1.23 in /export/rancid/cvs/ABC1/routers.down,v
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs [commit aborted]: could not find desired version 1.23 in /export/rancid/cvs/ABC1/routers.down,v

ending: Wed Mar 4 13:10:38 CET 2009

When I take a look at the file stated by the CVS error output, it seems like 1.21 is the HEAD:
# head /export/rancid/cvs/ABC1/routers.down,v
head    1.21;
access;
symbols
        start:1.1.1.1 rancid:1.1.1;
locks; strict;
comment @# @;

1.21
date    2008.11.18.13.13.32;    author rancid;  state Exp;

I tried to reproduce the error by doing a manual CVS checkout, change a file, and run the diff command as executed by rancid (cvs -f diff -U 4 -ko) which Works perfectly fine.

How do I debug from here? Is my CVS corrupt, or does rancid somehow keep track of the version it has to diff against?

Regards,

Wijnand
Linux Engineer

General Caveat
"The information provided in this e-mail is forwarded through the
electronic medium Internet and may therefore be subject to unforeseen
manipulation or distortion by third parties. It should therefore not be
relied on. Before any action is taken or refrained from on basis of the
above information, the content should be verified. Please note that e-mail
traffic through the Internet does not guarantee confidentiality. Confidential
information should therefore not be provided to ASP4all through Internet e-mail.
ASP4all denies any responsibility for damages as a result of the use of e-mail
messages."