[rancid] Re: RANCID to monitor files on Linux?

Mike Ashcraft mashcraft at omniture.com
Fri Jun 26 16:45:59 UTC 2009

Ron,

A number of the devices rancid supports are Linux based.  The f5rancid script for supporting the F5 BigIP is an example.  You could modify it to cat configuration files or run any other command on a Linux host.

Before you spend too much time on this, consider your needs and rancid's capabilities.  There are a number of open source tools out there specifically designed to address server configuration management.  Rancid is targeted at devices [initially Cisco routers] that do not have the ability to do more than output their current state.

Mike