[rancid] Re: Tunneling Telnet connections

Steve D. Ousley Steve at host-it.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 09:59:39 UTC 2009

Hi Guys

An update to my predicament.  This is all sorted.  A colleague of mine suggested this method minutes before you Daniel.  Once I had this idea, it was a simple case of re-setting the routers up to use the tunnel.

Fortunately, I have a wrapper script for rancid, so that made things even easier for me, but all I did was the following:

Add a new ssh line for each router to the top of my wrapper script such as:

ssh -L 2024:<router_ip>:23 <user>@<bounce_host> -Nf

where <bounce_host> is the host that we are using in the remote location so that at least the part over the internet is done via ssh (The remote location is secured with VLAN’s etc, so that is not a problem).

Then I edited my .cloginrc to set each router up as:

add method <router> {telnet:2024}

and also I added to /etc/hosts a line:

127.0.0.1 <router>

With both the .cloginrc, and /etc/hosts file, this meant that the router’s name can still be the name of the router, but will use the SSH tunnel.  Finally, editing the telnet access list on the switch, allowed this to all work.

Many thanks for the suggestions, and fortunately, I didn’t need help setting the SSH tunnel method up :D

Steve