[rancid] Re: f5 bigIP part 2

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 21:27:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, kenneth.w.sain at accenture.com wrote:

> Using rancid--2.3.2a9 on freebsd 7.1, I can successfully clogin into the
> device.
>
> Getting anything off the device via bin/rancid or bin/control-rancid is
> another story.

Don't worry about control-rancid etc just now, just concentrate on running
rancid by hand.

When I want to know what it is really doing, I might do:

 env NOPIPE=y PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/libexec/rancid rancid -d devicename

(modify PATH to taste).

This will leave devicename.raw and devicename.new files in your current
working dir.  The raw file is the output of the session for connecting and
sending the commands.  Take a look through it: presumably the timeout is
occurring because rancid isn't detecting a prompt after a command run, or
something is confusing expect.  It may or not be obvious, but take a look
and see.  If you see where it breaks down but don't understand why, repost
the relevant part of the output.

Jethro.

--
Jethro R Binks