[rancid] Re: Aliases and wildcards

Chris Gauthier cgauthier at mapscu.com
Fri Dec 11 17:32:01 UTC 2009

To the best of my knowledge, you’re mixing apples and oranges there.  Rancid does not actually control /etc/aliases at all.  The ‘aliases’ file is used by your MTA (sendmail, postfix, et al) to provide specific direction for various email addresses on the system.  All rancid does is append the rancid group name to either the ‘rancid-‘ or ‘rancid-admin-‘ string and use standard mailing calls to whatever MTA is running.  The MTA is what governs the format of the /etc/aliases file.

Chris Gauthier

Network Administrator

MaPS Credit Union

v: 503.375.2445

f: 503.779.1083

http://www.mapscu.com

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.”

—Leonardo da Vinci