[rancid] Re: Applying Expect Patch Manually

mv652 at softhome.net mv652 at softhome.net
Tue Dec 1 14:28:45 UTC 2009

Thanks.

Ok, I couldn't work out how to correctly patch the already-installed expect
5.43.0-5.1, so I uninstalled it and tcl 8.4.13-4.el5 and used the
pre-patched versions from your FTP site.

They both seemed to compile and install fine.

Unfortunately I am still have a 'freezing' with two CISCO 800 devices.  I
have 3 catalyst switches (4948 and 3750) and two routers (2811) which work
fine.

The only difference with the CISCO 800 is that there is a <username>
<password> to login rather than simply a <password>.

The log file from rancid-run shows:
clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
<cisco-800>: End of run not found

A clogin test shows:

./clogin <cisco-800>
<cisco-800>

spawn telnet <cisco-800>
Trying 172.16.11.1...
Connected to <cisco-800> (172.16.11.1).
Escape character is '^]'.

User Access Verification

Username: administrator
Password:

<cisco-800>#

and then it just stays there.  I thought that maybe it was the expect bug
mentioned on your website, but it seems the freeze is still happening.

Could someone advise on what to check next?

Mario