[rancid] Re: Backing Up Cisco ACE Modules

Remy Heiden remyheiden at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 12:35:59 UTC 2009

Strange..

We backup our ACEs with no trouble at all..
Just using the standard rancid script and separate management IP's on the
contexts.

No issues with pagers or end of config files...

I'll have a look to see if i can find some details..

Remy

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com>wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Brown IV, Bill (MFT) wrote:
> > I’ve been trying to backup the Cisco ACE but Rancid seems to time out
> > during the connection.  I think it has to do with the pager.  On the
> > ACE, every time I login the pager gets set back to its default.  Logging
> > in and then setting ‘term length 0’ only works for the session.  After
> > Rancid logs out, the pager gets reset.
> you can try to use my patch from
> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2008-October/003338.html
>
> > Scenario: I can login to the device using clogin.  Issuing a ‘show run’
> > from there reveals that the pager is set, (noted by the --more--
> > prompt).  I set ‘term length 0’ and ‘sho run’ completes with no pager.
> > Logging out and then back in reveals that the pager is once again set.
> > Using the rancid script with –d, the last output is:
> >

> > HIT COMMAND:<device>/Admin#show running-config
> >
> >     In WriteTerm: <device>/Admin#show running-config
> >
> > HIT COMMAND: <device>/Admin#write term
> >
> >     In WriteTerm: <device>/Admin#write term
> >
> > <device>: End of run not found
> >
> > <device>: End of run not found
> >

> > My assumption is that somehow Rancid is expecting the enable prompt but
> > not getting it because of the pager.  I looked at the rancid script but
> > I’m just not proficient enough to know where to hard code a ‘term length
> > 0’ and I definitely don’t want to change the behavior for other devices,
> > (I don’t want to “mess up”).  Does anyone have a piece of code that will
> > accomplish this?
> It's not the pager but rancid's detection of the end of the config file
> which goes wrong.
>
> > If possible, if you have it, I would really like to backup all the
> > contexts within the ACE as well.
> For now you have to give each context an IP and use that. I plan to add
> that feature but I'm pretty busy lately.
>
> bye
>        michael
> --
> Michael Stefaniuc                           Tel.: +49-711-96437-199
> Consulting Communications Engineer          Fax.: +49-711-96437-111

"The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory."

(Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore)