[rancid] Re: Who made changes?

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 1 21:42:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:07:47 -0500  K K wrote:
> > There is only one thing I want to know: is it possible to show who made the
> > changes in telnet?
> If Paul makes one change at noon, then Peter logs in at 4PM and makes
> two more, and then Rancid finally runs at 6PM, you'll get one change
> email, showing the sum of all changes and (usually) showing that Peter
> was the last one to make a change.

At the place where I hope to implement rancid (restrictions are
political, not technical, as usual), the network is set up
in such a way that operators do not have passwords of the devices
they manage. They log in (with their own password) in a subsystem
which, if allowed, will log in the operator automatically.

Advantage is that if persons leave the company, they don't know passwords
and no passwords need to be changed.

Current line of thought is to have the logout event trigger a rancid run
on the device people just logged into.

Just another thought,

Geert Jan