[rancid] Re: Download configs from one router through another

Shekhar Basnet shekhar at mos.com.np
Sat Sep 6 05:20:17 UTC 2008

Would you mean this???

From: "Sherrill, Justin"
<jsherrill at currentcomm.net>
To: Ed Ravin <eravin at panix.com>
Cc: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: [rancid]
Re: 'out of band' access script changes?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006
11:28:14 -0500

Alright, then to sum up for future people who
may encounter this
problem:

If the target device for
Rancid is on a separate network that can't be
accessed directly from
the machine Rancid is on, but can be accessed
from a gateway device,
here's the steps to reach that remote router.

In .cloginrc:

   add method 192.168.0.2 telnet
   add
user 192.168.0.2 your_gateway_router_username
   add
password 192.168.0.2 {your_gateway_router_password}

   add method 172.18.0.1 {usercmd}
   add user
172.18.0.1 your_remote_switch_username
   add password
172.18.0.1 {your_ remote_switch_password} {your_
remote_switch_enable_password}
   add usercmd 172.18.0.1
{clogin} {-noenable} {192.168.0.2}
   add usercmd_chat
172.18.0.1 {>} {telnet far-router\r} {User Access
Verification}
{}

clogin needs to be patched with Ed Ravin's changes here:
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2006-May/001490.html

The {>} in the above example needs to be changed to match
whatever shows
up on the gateway system's prompt.

Credit goes to Ed Ravin for getting this all to work.  Ed, I owe
you
beer/cookies; mail me what brand/recipe you prefer and where to
send
them.

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
The
information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged. This
email is
intended to be reviewed by only the individual or
organization named above. If you
are not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended
recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this
email and
its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notify the
sender by return email and delete this message from your
system.

> On Friday 05 September 2008 16:05:49 ryan speed wrote:
>> Maybe I'm crazy but I've been lurking on this list for years
and I'm
>> almost certain I've seen the patch discussed a
couple times over the
>> years...
>
> The
problem here isn't a lack of data [the patch and discussion about it
> may
> well exist], it is what do we search for? What is a
commonly-used term for
> remotely accessing a device on a network
that you don't have access to,
> using
> a device on the
edge of that network? I'm sure if I knew the right search

terms, I'd find it in no time :-)