[rancid] Re: Cluster support?

Chris Stave cstave at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 17:26:39 UTC 2008

After attempting to cram cluster support into RANCID and running into it
being quite rough, I just added ip addresses to the cluster members and
collect them normally.  Switch numbering-wise, it ends up being a rather
clever solution, as our switches were numbered 10.0.0.[switch number] with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0.  To ensure that up to three cluster members can be
nicely numbered, we've gone to using 10.0.[cluster member number].[switch
number] with a netmask of 255.255.252.0.  This still makes it very easy to
tell which switches are related to each other and removes any odd things
you'd have to do to RANCID.

So, while certainly possible to add cluster support to RANCID as I did in
the past, the benefits are few compared to just adding ip addresses to the
cluster members.

Chris