[rancid] Set different collection scheduler by groups

JinZhou jinzhe_927 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 27 02:01:13 UTC 2008

Hi,
I am using Rancid to maintain Cisco routers and switches configuration. Currently, I collect information from HQ and branch hourly. By using # 0 * * * * rancid /home/rancid/bin/rancid-run -m XXXX at YYY.comBut I want to collect data from HQ hourly and from branch daily. So I create two GROUPs to contain HQ and Branch's switches # LIST_OF_GROUP="HQ BRANCH" (In /etc/rancid/rancid.conf) Then use# 0 *  *  *  * rancid /home/rancid/bin/rancid-run -r <HQ> # 0 23 * * * rancid /home/rancid/bin/rancid-run -r <Branch>
Is it correct?

The other questing is if I only collect one switch’s configuration from HQ group, use
# 0 *  *  *  * rancid /home/rancid/bin/rancid-run -r <HQ>/<Device name >
Is it correct and what will happen in /var/lib/rancid/logs/?
Now, I got (group name).20081127.140001.

Thanks for your help. Regards, David