[rancid] Re: FreeBSD 7.0 + Expect 5.43.0 -- Do I need to patch expect?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Nov 14 19:18:08 UTC 2008

Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:33:16AM -0800, Eric Cables:
> I've been running into this problem quite frequently, about once a week or
> so rancid will hang for no apparent reason, and until I kill the process it
> will remain hung.  I've read in the archives that Linux & Solaris have a
> problem with expect that requires a patch, but does this also include
> FreeBSD?

Yes, some combinations of recent tcl / expect seem to have trouble on fbsd.
I'm not sure why, but the expect was pulled from distribution site for
defects.  the problem is that rolling back (via ports) seems to resurrect
an old problem which itself had been correct in ports by rolling back, IIRC.

I do not use freebsd and haven't had time to debug the problem.  ports is,
imho, too anxious to move forward with new tcl/expect versions and both are
too delicate for that.