[rancid] Can't poll a cat5 switch. clogin works fine manually

Victor Breen victor at impulse.net
Tue Jun 17 19:58:52 UTC 2008

Hello!

I am having some pretty aggravating issues getting a Cisco Cat switch working in Rancid.  Perhaps I'm missing something dumb?  I'm hoping someone out there can hit me with the clue-by-four.

I am using Rancid 2.3.1 on a FreeBSD box.  The "cisco" devices I have set up poll just fine.  This is the only cat5 device I'm attempting to poll so I can't say I've ever gotten one to work before.  Just the same, clogin seems to work when I run it manually.

Here's an example of clogin working fine with the cat5 switch.  It does complete but I've snipped the output for less noise:

rancid$ /usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin -autoenable -c "write term" -f
/home/rancid/.cloginrc -u rancid -p (masked) -t 30
10.10.10.7

spawn telnet 10.10.10.7
Trying 10.10.10.7...
Connected to 10.10.10.7.
Escape character is '^]'.

Cisco Systems, Inc. Console

Username: rancid

Password:
sw2> (enable)
sw2> (enable) set length 0
Screen length for this session set to 0.
sw2> (enable) set logging session disable
System logging messages will not be sent to the current login session.
sw2> (enable)
sw2> (enable)write term
This command shows non-default configurations only.
Use 'write terminal all' to show both default and non-default
configurations.

..

begin
!
# ***** NON-DEFAULT CONFIGURATION *****
!
!
#time: Mon Jun 16 2008, 23:43:28
!
#version 8.4(11)GLX

<snip snip>

When I run /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run to test the automated method, I see this show up in the log output:

starting: Mon Jun 16 17:09:03 PDT 2008

Trying to get all of the configs.
10.10.10.7: missed cmd(s): write term all
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
10.10.10.7: missed cmd(s): write term all
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
10.10.10.7: missed cmd(s): write term all
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
10.10.10.7: missed cmd(s): write term all
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
10.10.10.7: missed cmd(s): write term all

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs