[rancid] What's difference between "show running-config" and "show config" parsing?

Sam Munzani smunzani at comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 04:23:16 UTC 2008

Team,

I have a situation where the end user doesn't permit enable access to
the rancid user. On return, they allow all "show" commands by doing some
"privilege exec" commands on the router. That means, I can't run "show
run" command if I am logged in as rancid user. However I can do "show
config" command which reads the startup configuration file from the nvram.

I compared end of both configuration and they are identical.
---------- show run output last 4 lines -----------
ntp clock-period 17179646
ntp server x.x.x.x  prefer
ntp server x.x.x.y
end
---------- show config output last 4 lines --------
ntp clock-period 17179646
ntp server x.x.x.x  prefer
ntp server x.x.x.y
end

Literally no difference at all.

However following doesn't work and throws "End of run not found" error
in the log.

1. Configure .cloginrc with following setup. and modify bin/rancid
script to run "show config" command instead of show run.
add user *       {rancid}
add password * {rancidpass}
add method * ssh
add cyphertype * {3des}
add autoenable * 1   # I set autoenable to 1 because rancid account
login puts to "#" prompt since its a priv-2 account

Technically it should work fine since both commands produces same output
and end of file but it doesn't work for some reason. Any advise on how
to troubleshoot this one?

Thanks,
Sam