[rancid] Problem with "add method" (Linux)

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+rancid-discuss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:19:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm running up rancid 2.3.2a7 on Knoppix Linux (kernel 2.6.19) and am
having some trouble getting 'clogin' to try multiple access methods.

I have a really simple config at the moment:

 add user * {testuser}
 add userpassword * {Passw0rd}
 add password * {nothing} {s3cret123}
 add method * {ssh} {telnet}

clogin attempts to connect to devices using SSH, then, after the
default 45 second timeout (in this case when attempting to connect to
a device without SSH enabled), gives up completely without trying
telnet. If I swap the methods around so that telnet is first (or just
comment out the "add method" line), it works because the device
accepts the connection. If I change the telnet port to something
non-standard, it tries telnet on the non-standard port but never tries
SSH.

It seems basic enough that I figure I must be doing something really dumb.

Any clues?

cheers,
Dale