[rancid] Re: High CPU Utilization on routers during Rancid capture

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Jan 29 14:34:18 UTC 2008

john heasley wrote:
> Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 06:31:35PM -0600, Justin Shore:
>> the config if I wrote it).  It came up and ran ok.  I diffed the current
>> config against one a few months back and found I was missing about 12k
>> lines of config.  Woo!  I spent the rest of the morning pasting in
>> config from a RANCID diff over a year old (before the problem first
>> showed up).  It worked but seriously screwed up our carrier system.  The
>> field techs spent most of the day driving around and resetting cards
>> manually.
>
> if you know when the last good config was collected, then you can make
> rancid & cvs do a lot of this work for you.
>
> not that I expect you did it differently, but others might get the idea
> from your "applying diffs" note that that arduous task would be manual.

Right.  I don't want them to think that they have to do it the hard way
too.  My situation though required me to go back over a year to get a
complete working config.  After spending an hour trying to find a
version of the config from the weeks and months of diffs prior to the
failure that didn't have missing PVCs I finally said to hell with it.  I
went back to shortly after I set up RANCID for that router and used that
config.  I hadn't added any PVCs so the only thing I was going to lose
was UBR changes that I could recreate later.  Recreating the PVCs at
least let me get all my users back online even if their speeds weren't
accurate.  It was not a fun morning.

For the other 99% of the time I can simply pull the latest RANCID config
for rapid recovery of a failed stick of flash or CF card.  Works like a
champ.

Justin