[rancid] rancid doesnt log changes and receiving duplicate rancid emails

Nimal David Sirimanne nimal at fnbs.net
Wed Dec 3 10:07:37 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I recently took over management of network for my company. Now the
previous guy had a rancid running, and it was running fine until about
end of October.

Whatever changes made to the network devices after that, was not
captured by rancid, and no email notification. I read through some
documentation on rancid, and even tested the rancid to see if there was
any problem with it logging on to the devices using the commands "sudo
/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin -f /usr/local/rancid/.cloginrc -u
ranciduser x.x.x.x". It worked like a charm...no hiccups.

Looking through the system, i noticed that the /var/spool/mqueue and
/var/spool/clientmqueue was filled with messages. Sendmail was stuck.
Somehow a server restart fixed that...and now i'm receiving rancid
emails on an hourly basis.

However, the emails i receive are all duplicates. Even if i make a lot
of configuration (minor stuff like creating username, removing
usernames) but these changes arent reflected in the hourly emails. Even
when if i add a new network device, a new CVS entry gets created, but
any subsequent change to this network device, does not result in any
change to the CVS entry.

I'm stumped...any pointers on what i can check? Do let me know if you
need more details. Thanks guys!

Nimal D. Sirimanne