[rancid] rancid and nslogin on netscaler with ns7 software

Chris Kelly ckdake at ckdake.com
Mon Aug 25 22:22:16 UTC 2008

Hello-

I'm attempting to get RANCID to pull config from some netscalers.  It's
already working great for a bunch of cisco devices.

My nsrancid file is:

## $Id: nsrancid.in,v 1.7 2004/01/11 03:49:13 heas Exp $

and my nslofing file is:

## $Id: nslogin.in,v 1.11 2004/02/02 17:38:36 heas Exp $

I've changed nsrancid to run a ns7 compatabile command:

%commands=(
         'shell cat /nsconfig/ns.conf'   => "ShowConfig",
);
@commands=(
         "shell cat /nsconfig/ns.conf",
);

and set noenable and autoenable in ~/.cloginrc.

nslogin is able to log into the device

[rancid@******** bin]$ ./nslogin -t 10 -c "shell cat /nsconfig/ns.conf"
********
********
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid ********
rancid@********'s password:
Last login: Mon Aug 25 22:21:54 2008 from ********
  Done

but hangs at that point.  The > is the shell that needs the "shell cat
/nsconfig/ns.conf" sent to it, but instead of running that, I get:

Error: TIMEOUT reached

I'm not familiar enough with expect to see what needs to be changed in
nslogin to make this happen. I tried changing 'set prompt "#"' to >
instead, but this didn't help.

Any ideas or suggestions of what to do next are appreciated! Thanks,

-Chris