[rancid] Moving a device between groups, and keeping the revisions

Steve Ousley steve at host-it.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 18:41:34 UTC 2008

Hi Guys

Is this possible? I have just renamed a device as per the FAQ, and it has
successfully kept all the revision history etc.

We also have some firewalls that have been removed, but would like to keep
the data, is it possible to follow the same procedure for "renaming" a
device, and keeping the history as it is for moving between groups? For
instance if I did:

        % su - rancid_user

        % cd <LOCALSTATEDIR>

        % echo " device_name:device_type:up" >> unused/router.db

        % cp -p CVS/used/configs/ device_name,v \

               CVS/unused/configs/device_name,v

        % cd used/configs

        % cvs update

        % cd unused/configs

        % cvs update

Personally I cannot see anything wrong with this (not sure about the need to
run the second command, but thought that since I'm changing both groups,
that would be wise), can anyone see any possible pitfalls with doing it this
way?

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

 <mailto:steve at host-it.co.uk> steve at host-it.co.uk

 <http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751