[rancid] Backup Password?

PIERCE, STEVEN T (STEVE), ATTOPS stpierce at att.com
Fri Apr 4 16:47:03 UTC 2008

I've searched the archives, but I can't seem to find a solution to my
problem.

I have my devices configured with TACACS and have created a "rancid"
account on the server.  When everything is properly configured and
functional, RANCID works great.

However, because I work in a dynamic environment, at times there is a
failure (either server or change of remote config) that causes the
TACACS authentication to fail.  In this case, I've configured my AAA
authentication line in the remote device to default to enable
authentication:

aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ enable

During these situations, RANCID obviously fails.  The enable is not the
same as the TACACS username that RANCID is trying to use.

Is there a way to create a "backup" or "secondary" password that RANCID
can try if the first attempt to reach a device fails? Or, perhaps,
better, a way for RANCID to recognize that it's not being prompted for a
"Username" since AAA isn't working (it gets prompted for "Password:")
and to simply enter the enable password?  In this situation, I don't
want RANCID to use it's username password, but the enable password.

I've got to be missing something here.