[rancid] "End of run not found" troubleshooting

Sam Munzani smunzani at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 19:53:28 UTC 2007

Team,

I am troubleshooting a "End of run not found" message in the log. The
device type is 6509 switch running IOS. When I run "clogin device-name"
it works fine and puts me on the box. However when rancid runs, I get
"End of run not found"

After reading through /opt/rancid/bin/rancid file, I discovered
following piece of code. Can somebody help me understand this RegEx?
 if (/^(: +)?end$/) {
            $found_end = 1;
            return(1);
        }

Is it looking for :end or something else? If it looks for ":end" on a
line shouldn't regex be "/^:end$/"? Last few lines on my device config
is as below.
ntp clock-period 17180035
ntp server xx.xx.xx.xx prefer
end

corp-rtr-1#

LOG file info:
corp-rtr-01: missed cmd(s): dir /all slavedisk2:,dir /all
sec-slot2:,show diag,dir /all sec-nvram:,dir /all sec-bootflash:,show
spe version,di
r /all slaveslot2:,dir /all slaveslot0:,dir /all sec-slot1:,dir /all
slavenvram:,dir /all sec-disk2:,dir /all slavesup-bootflash:,dir /all
sec-disk0:,dir
 /all slavedisk1:,show module,show controllers,show diagbus,dir /all
slavedisk0:,dir /all sec-slot0:,dir /all sec-disk1:,write term,show vtp
status,dir /
all sup-microcode:,show vlan,dir /all slavebootflash:,show controllers
cbus,dir /all slaveslot1:,show running-config,show c7200
corp-rtr-01: End of run not found

Thanks in advance,
Sam