[rancid] Installation issues

djrobertsonusa at netscape.net djrobertsonusa at netscape.net
Fri Nov 9 00:31:46 UTC 2007

I am trying to install Rancid onto a Ubuntu 7.10 client system. I guess my first question is, is this system supported??

If yes then I cannot understand why I am getting the following error. I followed the installation instructions listed at this URL http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch1_:_Network_Backups_With_Rancid

Everything went well until I got to the step?
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rancid/
I then get this error and cannot go forward
root at laptop:/usr/local/rancid/tar/rancid-2.3.2a2# ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk

checking for gmake... no
checking for make... /usr/bin/make
checking whether /usr/bin/make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details.

I have attached the config.log file. When I look through it it does not present any clues to the issue.

Please help
Thanks