[rancid] CVS and rancid content or should I say configuration issues

kihara Muriithi wmuriithi at afsat-af.com
Sat Mar 31 10:01:54 UTC 2007

Hi all,
 I have been running rancid for several weeks, but not sure if I haven't
set up rancid properly or its just that I don't know how to use CVS to
retrieve the configuration. What I can currently find is the most recent
cisco configurations under the
directory /usr/local/rancid/var/cisco/configs/
 I do believe we have cvs for saving multiple version of these
configuration. However when I try to check out the cvs contents, it
don't see anything resembling these configuration. This is how I am
doing it

cvs -d /usr/local/rancid/var/CVS checkout XXX

This works, but there is nothing important. There is only three folder
under that directory, namely CVROOT, Entries.Log and cisco. cisco is a
directory and under it I have
cisco ->
configs/        CVS/            router.db       routers.all
routers.down    routers.failed  routers.up

 How can one conclusively tell rancid is feeding cvs any data and how
does one retrieve it from CVS? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
William