[rancid] Re: Pulling down context configs from a Cisco FWSM

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Mar 28 03:06:43 UTC 2007

Lance wrote:
> In my opinion it shouldn't be too hard. The hardest part would be
> looking at the output from "show contexts" and substringing or
> delimiting the line via expect and then dynamically changing to each
> one and doing the commands needed needed. The perl part I would like to
> think would be the easy part. With some work I am sure I could come up
> with something. I am just wrapped up in another project with IP Plan.
> Once I finish that I would love to attempt this.
>
> Ed Ravin should be able to code something pretty quick. He has solid
> coding skills and should be able to do this in a matter of a few hours
> max I would think. That is up to him though.
>

> Other options are Austin Schutz and John Heasley. I know their work is
> solid as well.

I would volunteer but my coding skills are lacking as well.  When I get
tired of repeatedly doing something day in and day out I'll spend a
weekend writing a shell script to do it for me.  The next weekend I'll
rewrite it in Perl.  I'll spend the following week debugging that script
only to get it just right, discover it's now 10x slower and ultimately
revert back to my Bash script.  I've done this more times than I care to
admit.  :-)  I should have paid more attention back in my college CS
courses.

I can however test scripts on my FWSMs.  I have 2 in separate chassis in
a A/S configuration.  This code should also work or go a long ways
towards being able to do the same thing on Pixs/ASAs.  I can also
provide moral support to the person that takes this task on. :-)

Justin