[rancid] passwords on cisco router keep changing

Flavio Curti lists.fcu at no-way.org
Thu Mar 22 00:15:13 UTC 2007

Hello

I understand this is not a rancid question, but maybe someone made the
same observation and has a hint:

I have several Cisco routers I backup including passwords. So far so
good. Now some routers have l2tp-classes using a cisco "7" password
defined. The "encrypted" values of those passwords change on every "show
run" which spams me with changed emails. All other cisco "7" passwords
do not show that behaviour only the l2tp-class passwords...

l2tp-class TESTCLASS
 authentication
  password 7 SOMETHING

next rancid run:

l2tp-class TESTCLASS
 authentication
   password 7 DIFFERENT-SOMETHING

I'd like to disable that feature as the cisco "7" passwords are not
really hard to decrypt anyway, so I doubt this brings anything rg.
security.

Thank you for your help and kind regards

Flavio Curti

--
http://no-way.org/~fcu/