[rancid] Rancid + Cisco ASAs (with multiple contexts)

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:35:52 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've been googling for the past hour or so, but haven't been able to find a
solid answer to my problem. We are beginning to implement some new Cisco ASA
devices here at work, using multiple contexts. We currently use Rancid
across our network for Juniper+Cisco devices and would like to incorporate
the new ASAs, but I don't see that Rancid currently has the ability to
recognize contexts and pull the various config information from each one.

At the moment, I am considering a simple shell script using clogin that will
subsequently commit the configs to our CVS repo, but since I am no shell
scripting guru, this would be a best effort attempt and would probably not
be nearly as clean as Rancid (on the saved output). Is there anything in the
works for Rancid to support this? Has anyone else been able to implement
this with any success (using multiple contexts)?

Thanks in advance!

-David
--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.