[rancid] beware tcl-8.4.15_2,1

David Paul Zimmerman dpz at ack.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 17 21:26:29 UTC 2007

In a fit of maintenance, I took one of my RANCID systems from:

	FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3
	rancid-2.3.1_1 port
	expect-5.43.0_1 port
	tcl-8.4.13_1,1 port

	FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6
	rancid-2.3.1_2 port
	expect-5.43.0_3 (-D WITHOUT_X11) port
	tcl-8.4.15_2,1 port

and immediately went from a perfectly happy RANCID installation to
one that can't get through a group of 500 or so devices without
getting hung randomly.  I tried taking out WITHOUT_X11, I tried all
sorts of port deinstalls, reinstalls, you name it.  I tried the
expect patch.  Nothing worked.  Finally I manually tweaked my ports
tree to install the tcl-8.4.13_1,1 port instead, and my problems
vanished (so far... 24 hours and counting).

Mind the gap....

	dp