[rancid] Re: Rancid and cisco 'autocommand' users?

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Wed Apr 25 22:19:01 UTC 2007

Austin Schutz wrote:
>>> Indeed, but the pass phrase still needs to be located somewhere or be empty.
>> yes, but the private key on the client is crypted
>>

> 	wrt the other email I just submitted to this thread: why is this
> advantageous? Over the wire a passphrase is also encrypted, and locally
> it's just as easy to copy a file containing a private key as it is to copy
> a file containing a passphrase.
> 	I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here. Well, other
> than the fact that some vendor(s) older equipment still doesn't support ssh
> properly. Count yourself lucky if you don't have any of that still around.

Only the public key is stored on the remote end. Stealing it would gain an attacker
nothing; in fact, you could store the public key on a web site or broadcast it over email
safely. With public key authentication, the passphrase nor private key is ever transmitted
across the wire.

--
Russell A. Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst

I have often looked at women and committed adultery in my heart.
		-- Jimmy Carter