[rancid] Re: 2.3.2.a5: Make ACL sorting configurable

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Sep 26 05:35:58 UTC 2006

Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:20:29PM -0700, Lance Vermilion:
> John,
>
> I don't know how you guys do it at your organization but when you make heavy use of ACLs and they get out of order, that can impact the processor of the router/pix/switch. This is important if you are using these configs to restore from.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding the original grip, but I recall the issue being with the ACLs being sorted and them differing from the orignal order that the ACLs were on the router/pix/switch.

Cool.  Please, show an example to us of one which would be re-ordered in a
fashion that would change it's result, or performance.  I can't think of
one, but admittedly do not heavily packet filter and am probably just
being dense.  Ultimately, I'd prefer a fix that corrected the problem with
sorting [I'm assuming its not a matter of distaste but of function].