[rancid] Re: Two RANCID servers

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Tue Sep 19 21:07:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 04:25:44PM -0400, Sam Barnard wrote:
> Due to the way our environment is configured, we have two network device
> points of access.  Has anyone ever set up two rancid servers using the
> same CVS repositories?
>

> Any tips, tricks?  Is it as easy as changing $CVSROOT?

	Just about. You will also need to:

	set CVS_RSH=ssh in rancid.conf on the remote host
	set up automated login via ssh (2 seconds of googling provided
http://www.uberdose.com/kbase/ssh-automatic-login/) for instructions.

	Be careful, as (obviously) you are poking a hole in the security
of the cvs server. We have found this handy so the engineers doing auditing and
whatnot with the configs have them all in one place.

	rsync works for this as well, and can be handy to keep the repository
copied to a place engineers can access without giving them a login on the
repository server.

	Austin