[rancid] any way to pass variables to commands being input by nlogin -c ?

psmith at metafore.ca psmith at metafore.ca
Mon Sep 4 14:33:16 UTC 2006

Hi again,

I am using rancid to modify configs on 500 Netscreen devices. Thanks to the
developers, it has cut down the amount of work needed manually.

I have written a script which modifies most of the configs, but I was
wondering if it is possible to use variables i.e. $2 $3 inside of the
commands being passed with nlogin -c ?

i.e. nlogin -c 'set hostname host_$1; set modem isp "Dialup" account login
"host_$1 at dialupisp.net" password "password", save' -t 3000 $2

I did attempt it, but must have done something wrong, or it can't be done,
because I got a bunch of errors spat back at me.

[rancid at monitor ~]$ ./scripted-config-update.sh 9130 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
can't read "2": no such variable
    while executing
"subst [lindex $commands $i]"
    invoked from within
"if [ string match "*\;*" "$command" ] {
        set commands [split $command \;]
        set num_commands [llength $commands]

        for {set i 0} {$i < $num_commands} {..."
    (procedure "run_commands" line 9)
    invoked from within
"run_commands $prompt $command"
    ("foreach" body line 71)
    invoked from within
"foreach firewall [lrange $argv $i end] {
    set firewall [string tolower $firewall]
    send_user "$firewall\n"

    set prompt {-> }

    # Figure o..."
    (file "/usr/local/rancid/bin/nlogin" line 436)

Many thanks!

Paul W. Smith
Senior Network Operations Engineer
MCP, SCWSE, SCSA, SCNA, ACE, 3CSA, CNS, CLS, JNCIA-FWV, JNSS-S, JNSA-S
Enterprise Services
Metafore IT Solutions
Direct: 905.362.7290
Cell: 416.271.6937