[rancid] Logging into HP ProLian BL C-BbE2/Nortel Switch

Dustin deviousz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 22:03:12 UTC 2006

Hello,

We are successfully using rancid with our Cisco devices but want to
add our enclosure switch devices as well.  These "HP ProLiant BL
p-Class C-GbE2 Interconnect Switch" are actually designed by Nortel so
I am unsure which device type to use in my router.db file.

But first when testing rancid is unable to login completely to the
device, here is an excerpt from the process:

-bash-3.00$ bin/blogin enclosureswitch1
enclosureswitch1
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid enclosureswitch1
rancid at enclosureswitch1's password:

HP ProLiant BL p-Class C-GbE2 Interconnect Switch B.

Copyright(C)2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Enter tacacs username:

As you can see the switch prompts for a password which rancid gets by
successfully but then prompts for the tacacs info (username then
password).  I'm guessing that a tweak to .cloginrc will do it but can
someone point me in the right direction as to what specifically I need
to add?

TIA,