[rancid] rancid use scenarios

Chris Moody chris at siliconhotrod.com
Tue May 30 19:24:44 UTC 2006

I'm currently using rancid for backups of a handful of devices (83 to be
exact) and love it.  Our group has used it numerous occasions to prove
when changes did/didn't occur.

At any rate, I'm needing some usage scenarios to help me sell the
concept to a larger audience at my office.  We have another team that is
responsible for several hundred nodes and has nothing like rancid in
place.  I'm planning to get them using the service, but need more
"weight" in selling the idea to them.

What are some of the largest deployments of rancid (also anyone willing
to give contact info to vouch for their numbers?)?  Anyone have
experience in enterprise scale usage?  Any caveats?  Any tips?

Any insights and stories are appreciated.  If I can demonstrate that the
  tool(s) can reliably handle a large load of devices, the widespread
usage may become a reality instead of just my recommendation.

Cheers,
-Chris