[rancid] problem with rancid-run (path related?)

Laker Netman laker_netman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 21:04:42 UTC 2006

Hi all.  I installed rancid (2.3.2a3) on a Fedora Core
4 box last night using the guide referenced under
"Getting Started" on the Shrubbery website.
Installation proceeded without incident (though I did
notice a typo in the guide regarding the .cloginrc
filename, TWIMC).
Expect 5.43.0-1 and TCL 8.4.9-3 are installed.
Here is my rancid.conf (less comments):

TERM=network;export TERM
umask 027
TMPDIR=/tmp; export TMPDIR
BASEDIR=/usr/local/rancid/var; export BASEDIR
PATH=/usr/local/rancid/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin;
export PATH
CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT
LOGDIR=$BASEDIR/logs; export LOGDIR
RCSSYS=cvs; export RCSSYS
FILTER_PWDS=NO; export FILTER_PWDS
NOCOMMSTR=NO; export NOCOMMSTR
OLDTIME=4; export OLDTIME
LIST_OF_GROUPS="mynetwork"

And here is my router.db:
192.168.12.11:cisco:up
192.168.12.12:cisco:up
192.168.12.23:cisco:up
192.168.12.18:cisco:up
192.168.12.5:cisco:up
192.168.12.20:cisco:up
192.168.12.19:cisco:up
192.168.12.21:cisco:up
192.168.12.7:cisco:up
192.168.12.8:cisco:up
192.168.12.9:cisco:up
192.168.12.24:cisco:up
192.168.12.13:cisco:up
192.168.12.16:cisco:up
192.168.12.15:cisco:up
192.168.12.4:cisco:up
192.168.12.6:cisco:up
192.168.12.22:cisco:up
192.168.12.17:cisco:up

My only modification to .cloginrc was the addition of
an "add password * {zzzzzz} {zzzzz}" line, as well as
commenting out the unneeded example lines.

The "clogin" test worked as expected, but I had to
manually append "/usr/local/rancid/bin" to PATH to get
"rancid" working.
However, "rancid-run" returns immediately and the log
file only contains the following:
starting: Tue Mar 14 14:01:01 CST 2006

ending: Tue Mar 14 14:01:02 CST 2006

regardless of what I try.  I even included an "echo
$PATH" at the end of the rancid.conf file to visually
confirm the correct path was being exported in the
shell.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Laker