[rancid] Re: storing configs in non-local (gserver) cvs server

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Fri Mar 10 18:38:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:05:05AM -0600, Matt Nichols wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm looking to replace our current home grown network device config
> backup script with RANCID. Every example I've seen shows RANCID storing
> configs in a local CVS server. How would I go about pointing RANCID at a
> remote CVS server? (Running on a different server than the one running
> RANCID). Our internal CVS server makes use of gserver, so our cvs root
> is something like gserver:hostname.of.cvs.server:/cvs.

	Rancid doesn't care where the cvs server is as long as it works,
and doesn't require rancid to do any interactive authentication.
	We have this set up here using ssh, but it would work with other
forms of transport as well. With pserver you would just do a cvs login
and it would cache the password in ~/.cvspass. I've never used gserver,
but I would imagine there is a similar (if not identical) process.

	Austin